Monday, April 03, 2006

Big Airports

The airport itself can be a destination. The airport in Amsterdam, Schiphol, had a large shopping arcade and a branch of the Rijksmuseum. Not many other airports can claim to have original Rembrandts on display. I was running a bit late, so I didn't get to visit. The airport runways and taxiways also cover a large amount of space. About half of the travel time was spent navigating the taxi ways first at Schiphol and then at Heathrow. Many on the place thought we might be driving to London.

Landing in London was quite nice. Once we dropped below the clouds, there was a nice view of central London and it was easy to pick out a number of the buildings, parks and tourist attractions. Its always interesting to get a perspective on the city from the air as well as the ground - but Google Earth makes that easy without having to get on a plane.

The layover at London Heathrow is several hours. I did this intentionally so I have time to browse the stores, pick up last minute items (got some more of the Walker cookies that everyone enjoyed last time) and have one last pint of Guinness as close to Ireland as I can. As I type this, it's about little after 1:30pm here, but as I look at the computer time, it shows its only 8:30am at home where I'll finish the day. A little early to be having a beer, but its too late now...

No comments: