Thursday, June 01, 2006

Mangoes and Fried Yam Recipe

As I mentioned earlier, one thing I love about the Boston Organics deliveries is that I'm getting stuff that I would have never bought otherwise.  This week the delivery included a mango and yams (among other things). 
I never bought a mango before and am fairly sure I've never had one growing up (unless it was at a restaurant).  This brings up a lot of questions.  Should you store it cold?  Or room temperature?  How do you know if its ripe?  And, how do you eat it?  For the answer to the last question I went online and believe it or not, found an eHow page that describes how to eat a mango.  Guess it's a bit tricky.  Actually - it's easy, but I never would have figured it out on my own.  And, guess what - the mango was great!  I've already purchased another today...
Yams look a lot like potatoes so I figured they would be prepared and served in a similar fashion.  But, looking up recipes turned up many where yams were only a part of a bigger recipe - not a side dish all there own.  A bit more searching and I did turn up a baked fry (oxymoron?) recipe which I made last night (fairly standard - olive oil plus a bunch of spices, place in the oven at 425 for about 20-30 minutes, turning over halfway through).  They turned out good enough.
Tonight I ventured out on my own with the remaining yam and figured I'd slice it into round chips and then fry/saute it in olive oil and garlic.  A fairly basic, Italian approach to most foods.  I had no idea how the flavors would mix and what it would taste like.  I hoped for the best.  After soaking the slices in water (have no idea if this is necessary, but the eggplant I cooked this way seemed to drink the olive oil so I figured having the yams drink some water first couldn't hurt), I put them in the pan with the garlic.  I stirred occasionally, but for the most part let them simmer on medium/low heat with the cover on.  After about 20 minutes - they were very tender and breaking apart when stirred.  I figured this meant done and I served with salt and pepper.  it wasn't bad!  I actually enjoyed it and would likely make the same thing again in the future.

No comments: