Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Quest for a decent cup of coffee...

The quest to make the perfect cup of coffee at home seems to be never ending.  I have purchased so many coffee makers over the years that it's comical.  Each time I go to Europe, I'm amazed at how good the espressos are and come back with renewed energy to try to replicate the same in my house.
The most recent addition was a $30 device called the Aeropress.  Given the low price and strength of reviews, I figured it was worth a try.  After a number of weeks, I'm not impressed.  I've tried a number of different coffee beans and the only thing that has come close to producing a decent cup of coffee are the Starbucks dark roast beans.  But even that was no where close to the best cups I've had.  I'll likely use it to finish off the various beans that I have on hand and then it will be relegated to the basement where it joins a number of others.
Once that happens, the Philips Senseo becomes the primary coffee maker.  The coffee it produces isn't great, but it isn't terrible and its extremely easy, it heats up very quickly and there is no cleanup which are all huge plusses.  As a bonus, the water is a good temperature for green teas (though I prefer a bit hotter) and the serving size is perfect for instant oatmeal (though the oatmeal still needs a minute or so in the microwave).  I purchased a number of pods for it, hoping that one or more would produce that elusive perfect cup.  But this hasn't happened yet.  So, when all the pods are used up (which will be a while), it will be time for another decision - do I buy more pods?  Do I bring the Rancilio Silvia espresso maker back up from the basement?  Do I use the Santos vacuum pot?  Or do I start the search all over and look for something new?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Patrick,
Your experience suggests to me that you would benefit from a finer grind and/or more coffee.
Let me help you get all you can get from the AeroPress.
Sincerely yours,
Alan Adler (Inventor)
alan@aerobie.com
PS I'm a casual cyclist. Currently riding a Linear Recumbent.