Saturday, May 06, 2006

Biking - Day 4, Afternoon


IMG_0817
Originally uploaded by pdbreen.
Our ride today takes us to an olive mill and farm where the owner gives us an overview of how the oil is made along with a tasting of the oils produced from the trees on his farm (as well as instructions on how to taste the oil). In the process, he dispelled a lot of myths about what "extra virgin" truly means.
After the tour, we were treated to a fabulous mediterranean lunch - with most of the dishes prepared using olive oil in one way or another. Although each dish was relatively simply, this was probably one of the best meals of the trip (though the wine wasn't that great).
After lunch quite a few of us opted to add a few extra miles that started with a killer uphill section. It was the steepest yet and kept rising for a while. But the views were superb and we were able to visit another typical Tuscan hill town.
After exploring the town on foot for a bit, we headed to another fun stop - a local bike shop where everyone had a good time buying authentic Italian biking shirts. I found 2 I liked and was also able to get a pair of sunglasses to keep the bugs out of my eyes (I forgot to bring my own).
Dinner is on our own again tonight and Ted & I again join up with David & Jennifer. We tried to join up with another group, but they couldn't seat us all together. I had the ravioli which was good, but everyone agreed last nights restaurant was better (though tonights restaurant had a great view of the sun setting over the beach). After dinner I tried the grappa - and I still don't like hard liquor.

No comments: