Thursday, May 25, 2006

This year's garden...

With another spring comes another attempt at getting some food to grow in the backyard.  Last year I planted corn, 2 types of peppers and cherry tomatoes to go along with the strawberries and raspberries that return every year.  The corn yielded only 1 or 2 ears so I won't be trying that again.  The tomatoes were productive early in the season, but seemed to have trouble later in the year.  Of the two peppers, the hot peppers (I forget the specific type) did extremely well.  The strawberries are getting old and although the plants are green and sturdy, not much fruit is produced - I'm sure the bed is in need of a good thinning and fertilizing.  And, the raspberries did ok - only problem with them is that you don't get that many and they are ripe almost all at once.

So, this year the strawberries and raspberries will be joined by grape tomatoes, cayenne and jalapeno peppers, bush beans and red leaf lettuce.  Unfortunately I bought everything before the weekend but didn't get things planted and the watering setup until yesterday.  This definitely stressed the lettuce and tomatoes - though it looks like the tomatoes have recovered fully and the lettuce may make it as well.

I had hoped to get some herbs planted this year as well, but I might have to leave that until next year as there isn't any space left in the tiny garden.  Then again, I might be able to use planters.  Guess this still needs more thought.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Patrick,
You mentioned a problem with corn and then said you had a tiny garden. I found out, also the hard way that you need a decent size square of corn plants in order for it to pollinate well.

You also mentioned hot peppers for this year. I learned, also the hard way, alas, that you should never, ever, ever touch red peppers without rubber goves. And, very important piece of information, don't forget that your gloves are covered with chopped up hot red peppers and wipe the sweat off your face. Thank God I only touched my cheek and not my eyes.

My vegetable garden now had neighbors trees shading it by very early afternoon. Not enough sun for tomatoes. So I hit Verrill Farm (in Concord, near Rt 2 and 117). They have dozens of varieties for sale all summer and a big tomato blow out one weekend. (Try giving your dinner guests a tomato platter with alternating purple and yellow tomatoes.)